Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Yeah, I'm still around...

Pick of Miss Priss I took at Easter in front of the stained glass at Houston Park CofC in Selma where I grew up and Gene and I were married.



I know, it's been quite a while, but honestly, sometimes I forget I even have a blog, and it's hard to find time to sit down and write. I'm sorry. I know I've got to get better, I've really got to get into a routine, or Ms. Lynne especially is gonna skin me alive!

We're doing good. I don't know how many of you even knew this, but last year I worked part-time as a Special Education ParaProfessional at one of our local Title I elementary schools. Well, at the end of the year, when they were doing all the budget crapola, they cut my job. I was absolutely heart broken. For the first time in my life I actually loved my job. I didn't dread getting up every morning. My babies were all so special...from just being slow in reading and math, to being autistic, to having multiple personalities brought on by abuse you couldn't imagine. And, I tried so hard not to like that job. Because I fought teaching tooth and nail. I still don't want to be a teacher, but I did not want to leave my kids when they told me I'd lost my job.

Anyway, I spent all summer looking, but had to be very selective because I don't have a teaching certificate (you'd think a doctorate would supercede that, but apparently not...go figure). Well, two weeks before school started, they called me back. I was so excited, I didn't believe the woman on the phone. I started crying. My principle didn't even know yet! But the best part was when the kids came to school the first day. I'd hide from some of them, and they'd say, "Mrs. B, you're back!" It was great.

I know, ya'll don't care about that, but since school's gone back, I've been busy. I work Monday and Tuesday all day, and 1/2 day on Thursday. But, I get full-time benefits. That's the best part. Kaitlyn goes there in their Pre-K program, and it's taught by one of our members from church, and it's a pre-k for both special needs and mainstream kids, which I think is great for Kaitlyn, because I always wanted Kait to go to RISE here at the U of A so she would be around special needs kids, but I knew she'd never get in because the waiting list for mainstream kids is so long. But, her teacher at Crestmont was a teacher at RISE, so it's like having our own version of RISE right there. She loves it, and you ought to see all the kids working together and helping the special ones out. It's so sweet.

Over the summer as I got painting orders, I kinda spread them out, so I'd have plenty to do when school started, well...now I'm scrambling to get them all done. When it rains it pours, then we'll have a drought.

Oh, prayer request...Daddy's aunt (we've always called her "Sister") died last Monday. Well, they buried her on Wednesday. Her son, George made all the arrangements, and disappeared. He didn't show up for the visitation or the funeral. No one has seen or heard from him. Not my grandmother, not daddy, not his son, not his girlfriend. No one. He's in his 50s, and has been living with his mother for the last 20 years. She was a hateful woman, so this could have been a new beginning for him, or he could've gone off the deep end. We don't know. The authorities are looking in FL, AL, GA and MS. Pray we find him or get some answers soon, please.

That's about it. Just boring life stuff.


No comments: